Contact me: Blindingbrightlights@gmail.com

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Handed in today - Creativity project

Today I handed in my "creativity" project. Last semester I had to design a garment or oufit that represented natural disasters. We were given the choice of three design houses; Balenciaga, Yves Saint-Laurent and Rick Owens, each with their own limitations and requirements. I chose to do Balenciaga, because I wanted to use bright colors and plastic (which was the requirements)
I chose Tsunami as my natural disaster, not only because of what happened in Japan just before the project, but because I have an obssesion with the ocean and, although it is a bad thing, I love how garbage accumulation in the ocean can create some really weird/cool looking things. Like those blops of garbage tangled together in a ball.. you know what I'm talking about?
Anyways, all this mixed together, I decided to plastify tule (which to me looks like a fishing net) with some thin cord and sequins (to add some prettiness). This "fabric" would be for my jacket. For the jacket I also wanted my sleeve to look like a plastic bottle. So if you look at it upside down, the cuff is the cap, the bubbles are.. well the bubbles and the "bicept cuff" is where the Label usually is. See it? I hope so, I worked so hard on those darn bubbles!
As for the dress, through my "tests" I plastified a plastic bag and I loved the effect it gave so I wanted that same effect in the outfit, so the dress would be the plastic bag and the jacket.. well the plastic. So I wanted the dress to have sort of an egg shape so that when the jacket would be on top, the fabric would be squished onto itself. I also used taffeta so that the stiffness of the fabric would emplify the effect. And to make it look prettier I made criss cross straps at the back.
Anyways, hope you like it!
Now, I have another project due tomorrow morning (will show you that soon too) and then I will be able to breathe!

3 comments:

lizchewy said...

Such an interesting interpretation. I don't think I can ever come up with anything like this. Can't wait to see your other project!!

xoxo
Lizzo

briannelee said...

Very cool! I love this idea!

If you have a chance, enter my diamond earring giveaway :)

http://brileeo.blogspot.com/2012/02/alexis-russell-is-new-york-jewelry.html

Jess said...

wow it's so cool. wish i was able to make something like that, loved your idea of the ocean and the tsunami.x