Contact me: Blindingbrightlights@gmail.com

Sunday, September 18, 2011

A vegan meal I

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
A Quinoa Salad is one of my favorite meals because it tastes amazing and its extremely healthy! Also, its very versatile, you can make a delicious fruit salad with quinoa and use a bit of honey as the dressing!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Fill a saucepan/pot with 3/4 water, and boil it. Then add 2 cups of quinoa.
What is quinoa? Its a grain thats filled with Protein and almost no carbs! So if you are not a vege, well skip the steak one night and enjoy a light and healthier alternative :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Chop up 2 Carrots any way you like, I like them sliced like this, but if you like them in tiny pieces it blends well with the tiny quinoa
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
For this salad I really just used whatever I had in the fridge, so next came 2 Hearts of Palm, cut them into slices too (I love hearts of palm, usually put more in)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Next came the Artichoke hearts, hmmm :) I used about 5, now I buy these jarred, a pop the top part off, squeeze the juice out and then slice them up
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I don't care much for celery so I only used one stick in this salad, if you love it though, add as much as you want :) I chopped it into small pieces.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Next, red kidney beans (I also put in some chickpeas but forgot to photograph them) adding to the protein :) and I just love how they taste and their texture! I put in two spoon fulls.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I like to balance salty and sweet in the salads I make so I always add some dried cranberries or raisins or some kind of fruit like oranges or apples. (I put in 2 handfulls)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
By the time you finish chopping up everything, the quinoa should be ready, so drain out the excess water and mix it all up with the veggies ( I personally love it when its warm but if you prefer having a cold salad just rinse the quinoa with cold water.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I put a Agave Dijon dressing on it, will give you the recipe A.S.A.P
So what exactly is this meal giving me? Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Sodium (ok not so good.. but I love salty foods too much :p) Fiber and much more :)

6 comments:

The PvdH Journal said...

Quinoa is one of my staple foods (and one of the reasons why I can essentially be a vegan and not go insane hehe). This recipe looks great, I've never tried it with beans & cranberries! great idea!

the nyanzi report said...

i have not tasted this before but it sounds interesting.

PopBlush said...

I don't think I've ever had quinoa before~ This dish looks so healthy indeed! Thanks for sharing!

laura said...

nom nom nom! this looks amazing and super easy!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Sara said...

Yum! I'm so obsessed with quinoa. I could just eat it all on its own! x

Fabrizia said...

Hi! I found your blog and I like it so much! you look really great in this outfit!
Come and visit my blog, and if you like it, follow me, I'll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???